How long have you been managing the website? What CMS used? Maybe it’s a question you often receive from friends or fellow bloggers. Managing a website is not easy. There are many problems that are often faced, ranging from choosing the right hosting, type of CMS for the website, hosting costs, website performance, and many more. We take the example of a website that uses the WordPress platform. Of course, to support maximum performance, choosing WordPress hosting is the best choice.
But often we also experience many problems in determining the hosting we want to use. We are often tempted by low prices, unlimited capacity, and much more. On this occasion, I will share my experiences with the hosting provider that I just tried a few days ago, namely Cloudways hosting. Before deciding to use this hosting service, I first looked for information about many things about the hosting provider, including:
After getting a lot of information about the details of some of the items above, I finally decided to try the most economical hosting package, the goal is to see how far the hosting performance is. For more details about some of the factors above, here I will explain briefly one by one, and maybe it could be a consideration for those of you who want to try other hosting providers.
Maybe Cloudways is the only hosting provider that provides the best quality server service. Why? Because Cloudways is supported by servers that have proven to be powerful in terms of speed, stability, and performance. What are the servers in this hosting? Currently, Cloudways is supported by very popular servers to support the performance of your website, including:
- Digital Ocean
- Amazon Web Service
- Google Cloud
- And the CDN feature from Stackpath
Of the several servers, my choice fell on “Digital Ocean” because of its very affordable price considerations, and also my website is still relatively new and does not have much traffic, so it is very appropriate to choose Digital Ocean as a server to accommodate the needs of the website.
Hosting Package Prices
When compared to hosting packages from other providers with almost the same specifications, in my opinion, Cloudways is much cheaper and competitive. For more details, here are the hosting packages offered by Cloudways from each “hosting plan” they have. You can choose according to website needs.
Digital Ocean Hosting Plan
|$10 / Month||$22 / Month||$42 / Month||$80 / Month|
|RAM 1GB||RAM 2GB||RAM 4GB||RAM 8GB|
|Processor 1 Core||Processor 1 Core||Processor 2 Core||Processor 4 Core|
|Storage 25GB||Storage 50GB||Storage 80GB||Storage 160GB|
|Bandwidth 1TB||Bandwidth 2TB||Bandwidth 4TB||Bandwidth 5TB|
|24/7/365 Support||24/7/365 Support||24/7/365 Support||24/7/365 Support|
|Free SSL||Free SSL||Free SSL||Free SSL|
|Free CDN Feature||Free CDN Feature||Free CDN Feature||Free CDN Feature|
|Migration Free||Migration Free||Migration Free||Migration Free|
|Complete Apps||Complete Apps||Complete Apps||Complete Apps|
|Team Management||Team Management||Team Management||Team Management|
|Dedicated Firewall||Dedicated Firewall||Dedicated Firewall||Dedicated Firewall|
|Real-time Monitoring||Real-time Monitoring||Real-time Monitoring||Real-time Monitoring|
|Automatic Backup||Automatic Backup||Automatic Backup||Automatic Backup|
|Staging Environment||Staging Environment||Staging Environment||Staging Environment|
|Advanced Caches||Advanced Caches||Advanced Caches||Advanced Caches|
|Auto Healing||Auto Healing||Auto Healing||Auto Healing|
|Security Patching||Security Patching||Security Patching||Security Patching|
|HTTP/2 Enabled||HTTP/2 Enabled||HTTP/2 Enabled||HTTP/2 Enabled|
|SSH and SFTP Access||SSH and SFTP Access||SSH and SFTP Access||SSH and SFTP Access|
The table above is just an example of one of the hosting plans you can choose, for example, the Digital Ocean Hosting plan. For other hosting packages, please go directly to the official website here.
As one of the hosting providers that prioritize performance and technical support that is reliable but easy to use, Cloudways hosting provider provides a hosting panel with a different configuration from cPanel in general, but with an operation that is much easier, faster, simpler, and powerful. Some of the features that you can find if you use hosting from Cloudways include:
- Access detail
- Bot protection
- Domain management
- Cron job management
- SSL certificate
- Backup and restore
- Application setting
- Migration tool
- CDN from Stackpath
All of the above features are included in the hosting panel for the package you take and can be used to build a website from scratch to “live” in an easy, simple, and fast way. This feature is much simpler when compared to cPanel, so it can be used immediately and easily. If you have trouble, you can contact customer support for 24 hours.
Hosting Panel Configuration
If this is the first time you are using the hosting panel from Cloudways, it might be a little difficult. This is because the appearance and visualization of the dashboard panel are different from cPanel in general. But you don’t need to worry, because it turns out that the settings from the panel are quite easy and even easier than cPanel, so you just need to get used to using the control panel. As the description of “hosting features” in the above subtitles, the following is a summary of each feature function in the hosting panel.
- Access detail: contains information about the application URL, Admin panel, and MYSQL Access. Through this menu, you can find out the details for the website username and password to log in. And also Database name, username, and database passwords. This data is very important if you want to do some configuration and editing on the website.
- Monitoring: contains detailed information about traffic, PHP, MySQL, and disk usage. Meanwhile, the “log” contains information about the access log and error log.
- Bot protection: provides information about blocked traffic and blocked login. With this feature, you can anticipate if there are many bots, whether from search engines, direct, social media, or login attempts.
- Domain management: functions the same as “add on domain” in cPanel, which is to add new domains that you will use later.
- Cron job
- SSL certificate: here you can set up a URL redirect that is linked to an “SSL certificate”, where you can enter several destination URLs, for example without www or by using www. Choose a URL that you think is appropriate to use as a website address.
- Backup and restore: functions to backup website content to keep it safe if an error occurs or becomes damaged.
- Migration tool: used if you want to move your website from another hosting provider to Cloudways services. You first install the plugin on your website to facilitate the migration process.
- Cloudways CDN: this feature functions to clean the cache on the website when an update occurs, such as content, pages, images, install plugins, or other configurations on WordPress. With this feature, website performance is maintained.
Hardware and Software Specification
A reliable hosting provider must be supported by hardware with good specifications and have high performance, and also be equipped with the latest software for building websites. For hardware and software specifications, you can find out more details on the details of the hosting plan you want to use. In general, the hardware specifications for the hosting provider consist of:
- Storage capacity
As for the software, it consists of various types of applications that will be used, for example, WordPress, Joomla, PHP, Magento, Prestashop, and others. Each specification, both hardware, and software is different, depending on the type of hosting plan you choose.
That is some information about the hosting plans offered by “Cloudways” hosting providers. As a comparison, maybe you can choose one package, for example, the cheapest hosting package. The goal is to find out how far the hosting performance is compared to your previous hosting.