Do you want to build a website with a WordPress platform? If you have never made a website and are completely unfamiliar with the various terms available, in this guide you will get very complete guides to learn WordPress tutorials for beginners. In the guide that we will provide, everything will be shared in full and detail, from beginning to end, and also steps to choose a domain name, register a domain, find a hosting company, theme installation, plugins installation, and so forth. For more details, here are some steps that you will learn here.
From some of the list above, if you follow it correctly, then you can start to build a website from zero to online. Every guide that I will explain here, is recommended to be followed and practiced immediately so that if you experience problems, it can be corrected immediately. The following step by step in the order above as shown below.
How to Choose a Domain Name
A domain is the name and identity of a website. If you want to build a website, choose a domain name that identifies your business. You can choose various domain extensions, such as .com, .net, .info, .org, and so on. If by chance the website you are about to build is used for business, it is strongly recommended to choose the .com extension. How do you find a good domain name? There are many online services specifically for searching domain names. Or it could be through a domain registrar and hosting company. So that your website is easy to remember, it is advisable to choose a short domain name. Some sites that can be used to find domain inspiration include:
- and much more
You can try one by one from the list above. If you want to find a good domain name and domain name recommendations, maybe leandomainsearch.com and namemesh.com might be the best alternative. For the domain price is quite affordable. If using the .com extension, the initial registration fee is around USD10.
Looking for a Domain Registrar
Usually, the domain registrar becomes one with the hosting company. There are many domain registrars that you can choose from. Some of them are hostgator.com, godaddy.com, whois.com, siteground.com, bluehosting.com, and several other domain registrars. For the price of a domain with a .com extension, it is usually almost the same, the only difference is the price used. For example, if you buy a .com extension, the price is around USD10, then the price is different if you buy a domain with the extension .org or .net, or .info. Choose a domain that represents your business, easy to remember, and make sure no one uses the domain name yet.
Looking for a Hosting Company
If you are interested in combining domain and hosting in one service, of course, this will be easier. But often there are several hosting companies that provide hosting packages that do not match our expectations. Therefore, to overcome the limitations of a hosting package, you can buy a hosting package from a separate service. For example, you buy a domain at GoDaddy, while for hosting you buy it at HostGator.
Choose a hosting package
Once you have a domain and find a hosting service that suits your needs, the next step is to choose a hosting package that suits your needs. To choose the right hosting package, here are a few points to consider when you want to buy a hosting package, including:
- Estimated number of website traffic
- Storage capacity
- Hardware and software specifications
- Datacenter location
- Price of a monthly hosting package
- Bandwidth Capacity
And there are many more detailed specifications that you should know about. By knowing the detailed specifications of the hosting you want to buy, you can minimize errors when choosing the right hosting package. For starters, it is recommended to choose the cheapest hosting package. So if later there is an increase in the amount of traffic and also greater hardware requirements, you can upgrade.
After your domain and hosting are connected and active, the next step is to install your WordPress. Usually, by default in each hosting panel, it has been integrated with several website platforms, including WordPress, Joomla, Weebly, Magento, Prestashop, and other CMS according to the type of hosting package chosen. On this occasion, I assume you will install WordPress. There are two ways you can choose when you want to install WordPress, namely:
- Manually: is how to WordPress installation by uploading themes through the file manager, creating a database, and several other steps. This method is usually done by bloggers who are experts and experienced to build a website. The installation process manually will be easier to find the cause of errors on the website, one of which is the database.
- Automatic WordPress installation: i.e. installation by following the steps in the Cpanel or file manager. You can search the software menu on Cpanel, especially WordPress. This step is easier and can be done by anyone without coding knowledge.
Of the two ways to install WordPress, which one do you think is easier, whether manual or automatic. The WordPress installation process is only a few clicks, so it’s quite easy to do. And the important thing, when the installation process is complete, usually you will get a username and password that functions to log into your website dashboard to do some settings and updates, for example writing articles, creating pages, and also manage an online store.
Login to the WordPress Dashboard
After you successfully install WordPress and get a username and passwords, then the next step in this guide is to log into WordPress itself. When you want to log into WordPress, the default login URL is www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin. The default username is “admin”, while the password can be setting as desire when you install your WordPress. But the password and username at any time you can change periodically.
Get to Know the Dashboard Menu
After you have successfully logged into the WordPress dashboard, there are several menus that are commonly used for website updates. Some default menus include the following:
- Post: used to write articles. This menu is commonly used by bloggers to create content. The sub-menu itself consists of several options, including all posts, add new, categories, and tags. You can use all of these menus when writing articles on the website.
- Media: this menu functions to save the uploaded image, for example, when you write an article and insert a picture, then the picture will be saved in the media menu. Through this menu, you can edit existing images, for example by changing the image size.
- Pages: same as the post menu, this menu pages function to create new pages. Menu pages are generally static in nature and are used to create home pages, about us, contacts, and other static pages.
- Comments: a menu that contains comments from blog visitors. You can activate or deactivate the menu as needed.
- Appearance: a menu that contains themes, customize, widgets, menus, and theme editors. You can customize this menu as needed, for example changing templates, managing widgets, managing the main menu, and editing CSS in the theme editor column.
- Plugins: is a menu that contains various plugins installed on the website. Through this menu, you can also install or uninstall plugins as needed.
User: is an option that contains user administrator, editor, contributor, and some functions used to access the website.
Similarly, there are several menus on the website dashboard, besides there are still a few other menus, such as tools, settings, and other customize menus.
By knowing some of these menus, you will be easier to manage the website.
After you get to know some of the menus in WordPress, the next step is to try to change the default theme. The way to change the theme is quite easy to do, as in the steps below:
- Hover your cursor on the “appearance” menu, then select “theme”
- After the theme menu opens, then click add new
- Thousands of ready-made themes will appear that you can choose from
- Select a theme, then click install
- After that click activate
Then your theme is installed and live immediately. After the theme is installed, the layout is usually still messy, so here you have to do some settings, starting from the header menu, background, sidebar widgets, footers, creating pages, and several other settings according to your needs.
How to Make a New Page
To create a new page, hover over the pages menu, then click “add new”. After a new page opens, you can write page titles, for example about us, contact, maps, and pages that you can adjust. Generally, create pages and write articles the same way. The difference is if you write an article you can adjust to the category, whereas if you create a new page, there is no choice of categories. Layout pages on the website you can put in the header and footer through the menu settings.
How to Write an Article
If you want to create articles on a regular basis, the method is the same as creating a new page. You can enter articles in the categories that have been created, you can also add tags in the article, add images, videos, internal links in the article, and also customize the archive forms for the category. Layouts for articles can be designed using front end builders, such as elements, ultimate shortcodes, and other page builders. For SEO optimization, you can add the Yoast SEO plugin or All in One SEO. Both of these plugins are very useful for optimizing articles in search engines.
Choose a Plugin for the Website
The plugin is a very useful facility on a website. With so many benefits, you can optimize the website as needed. Some types of plugins that are highly recommended when first installing a website with the WordPress platform include:
- Yoast SEO or All in One SEO: this plugin works to optimize the keywords you want to target. With the right settings, you can improve your search engine ranking. Both types of plugins are highly recommended by SEO experts. This plugin is a free and paid version that can be tailored to your needs.
- Classic editor: this plugin works to make it easier for users to write articles or write new pages. If you first install WordPress, usually the text editor used in Gutenberg. For those not familiar with Gutenberg, it will be difficult to write content in new articles or pages.
- Woocommerce: is a plugin that is specifically used for your online shop. This plugin is quite easy to use and also recommended. Complete features you will get in this plugin.
- And several other types of plugins that I cannot mention one by one, including W3 Total Cache, Smush It, Social share, and other popular plugins.
By installing some of these plugins, you can optimize the website according to your needs. All of these plugins you can get through the dashboard panel. How do you install the plugin? The following explanation is below.
How to Install the Plugin
Just like installing themes, installing plugins is also quite easy. Below are the steps to install the plugin on WordPress.
- In the dashboard panel, you find the “plugins” menu.
- Then select “add new”
- After that, in the search field, enter keywords for the plugin to be installed.
- Then a number of plugin options will appear that match these keywords.
- Click install.
- After that activate the plugin.
- The final step is setting each menu in the plugin as needed.
How to Set the Page Menu
Pages or posts do not need to appear on the front of the website. You can do settings, menus, and pages that want to be displayed and hidden. The way to set the display menu pages can be done by the steps below:
- Look for the Appearance menu, then click “menu”
- After that, if there is already a menu option, the page selection you want to display is by drag and drop
- If deemed appropriate, click save
- Refresh your page to see the results of the changes you just made
Layout settings to show or hide pages are very necessary to make more effective and existing space on the website, especially if you do not want too many choices on the front end that can slow downloading the website.
Create Article Categories
To make it easier for readers to navigate web pages, you need to grouping articles into categories. In addition to ease, setting the category also affects search engines, especially Google bots. How do you create a category menu? Here are the steps you can take:
- Look for the “All posts” menu
- Then click “category”
- After that, next to the right a display and column will appear that you will later fill in with the categories that will be created
- Categories that have been created will appear on the right-hand side
If you have created several categories, then the next step when creating an article, that category will appear on the right side, precisely above the “tags” menu.
One important point in optimizing articles to appear in search engines is to add tags in each article. Tags are short words that act as triggers when a visitor writes keywords to a search engine. The number of tags you can write is unlimited, but it is recommended to be around 4-5 tags. In addition, it is also advisable to write tags in the form of keywords, where later the tags will have their own URL links.
Inserting Images in Posts
If your article contains tips and tricks, of course, you will need some pictures that contain guidance. So, to make it easier for readers to follow these guidelines, the existence of images is very important. You can add a picture to each step you write. The trick is as follows:
- Under the article title, there is a “add media” button
- Click the menu, then find the picture you want to upload
- So that the loading of the website is not too heavy, it is recommended that the file size as small as possible
- To support SEO optimization, it is recommended that each image be given a keyword
- Adjust the size of the image with the website layout to match and match
- After the image is uploaded, click insert images
Some file format types that are not too large in size include JPEG and JPG. Both of these file types that I often use to complete articles in every website post. In order to make the website look attractive and neat, try to make one image ratio with another the same so that overall, the blog archive will look more presentable and attractive, and not boring the reader.
How to Speed up a Website Loading
One very important factor if you want to optimize a website in search engines is how fast the website is loading. The faster the loading, the greater the potential to appear on the search engine. This is because the loading speed of a website is a factor in Google’s algorithm. Many ways you can do to speed uploading a website, including:
- Use the caching plugin
- Choose a lightweight template
- Choose a reliable hosting company
- Front end customization
- Use the CDN feature
- Choose hosting that has the closest data center to the target visitor
- And much more
With a fast loading website, this will provide many benefits, especially in terms of visitors to the website, and in the end, can improve the existing score on Google analytics and the Search console.
Widgets have many functions. Usually, the widget can be customized according to the type of theme available. For example on the left, right, or at the bottom (footer). Some elements that can be placed on the widget include the following:
- Banners: usually in the form of banners containing advertisements, promotions, or links to affiliates.
- Category: The category menu can also be placed in the widget area. You can choose several categories through the menu feature.
- Recent posts: the latest posts from articles that you create can be placed in the sidebar, making it easier for readers to see the latest articles.
- News Letter: in addition to some of the elements above, bloggers who want to build a listed building can also place the email list menu on the widget.
And several other options that can be adjusted. The use of correct and proportional widgets can increase the “page view” of your website so that it can contribute to the “SERP” in search engines. But keep in mind also, do not put too many elements in the sidebar widget, because it will affect the loading speed of the website.
Create a New User
There are times when you have to give other people access to manage a website. For this purpose, you must create a new user with a separate account. By having a separate account, the user can write articles or create new pages according to the type of user created. Here are some types of users that can be managed, including:
- And author
All of these users have their own functions and access limitations, depending on their needs. In creating a new user on the dashboard panel is quite easy, following the steps.
- Enter the “user” menu.
- Add a new user
- Fill in the available fields, starting from the username, email, first name, passwords, and roles. All of these choices can only be made by the administrator
Log out from the Dashboard panel
After you get to know some of the features of the dashboard panel, it is hoped that you can make some settings for a website, for example how to do front end settings, create articles, add menu pages, manage widgets, create users, how to speed up website loading, and so on. And the last is how to log out from the dashboard panel itself. To do this, you simply point the cursor in the upper right corner of the profile menu, click, then click “logout”. Similarly, a few brief guidelines for those of you who are just starting to make a website using the WordPress platform and make some settings in it, OK.